Data Protection Notice
This notice tells you what we do with information we collect about you. The notice is addressed to individuals who are users of our services ie. Policyholders, prospective policyholder’s website users and third parties. We refer to all these individuals as ‘customers’ or ‘you’ in this notice.
Who we are
In this notice, ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ refers to MIS Underwriting Ltd. For full information concerning MIS Underwriting Ltd please visit www.misunderwriting.ie.
We may record and monitor telephone calls for training, regulatory compliance, quality evaluation and verifications of information provided and received.
Our approach to Privacy
The privacy and security of your personal information is very important to us. We protect your information with security measures under the laws that apply. We keep our computers, files and buildings secure.
The information you provide MIS Underwriting Ltd
We may receive personal information about you, when you contact MIS Underwriting Ltd for example by doing any of the following:
- Reporting an incident involving your Home
- Reporting an incident involving your Vehicle
- Obtaining an online quote
- Purchasing an MIS Underwriting Ltd product from us or from one of our partners
- Using website and Apps
- Entering MIS Underwriting Ltd competitions
This Information may include:
- Basic personal information such as your name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth or age, gender and marital status, your car, your home, your household or your travel arrangements
- Information about your other policies, Claims history, Claims data
- Sensitive personal information such as criminal convictions, motoring offences and about your health (current state of health or existing conditions)
We may use your information to allow us to detect and prevent fraudulent applications and claims, for details relating to information held about you on the Claims Underwriting and Exchange Register and Motor Insurance Anti-Fraud and Theft Register please visit www.insurancedatabases.co.uk
Fraud Prevention and detection
In order to prevent and detect fraud we may at any time:
- Share information about you with other organisations
- Undertake credit searches and additional fraud searches
- Check and/or file your details with fraud prevention agencies and databases, and if you give us false or inaccurate information and we suspect fraud, we will record this.
We and other organisations may also search these agencies and databases to:
- Help make decisions about the provision and administration of insurance, credit and related services for you and members of your household;
- Check your identity to prevent money laundering, unless you furnish us with other satisfactory proof of identity
- Trace debtors and beneficiaries, recover debt, prevent fraud and to manage your accounts or insurance policies;
- Under the conditions of your MIS policy you must tell us about any insurance related incidents (such as fire, water damage, theft or storm) whether or not they give rise to a claim.
How your data us used and shared by Insurers and Databases in relation to insurance
The data you provide will be used by us and shared with other insurers as well as certain statutory and other authorised bodies for:
- Insurance underwriting purposes ie to examine the potential risk in relation to your prospective policy we so can:
- Consider whether to accept the relevant risk;
- Make decisions about the provision and administration of insurance and related services for you (and members of your household);
- Validate your (or any person or property likely to be involved in the policy or claim) claims history (at the time including upon application for insurance, in the event of an accident or a claim, or at a time of renewal).
We are committed to protecting the confidentially and security of the information that you provide to us and we put in place appropriate technical, physical and organisational security measures to protect against any unauthorised access or damage to, or disclosure of loss of your information.
You should be aware that communications over the internet, such as emails, are not secure unless they have been encrypted. The websites may contain links to other Motorist Insurance Services companies and other third party websites.
- Management Information purposes. To analyse insurance and other markets for the purposes of:
- Portfolio assessment
- Risk assessment
- Performance reporting
- Management reporting
- Anti-fraud purposes. To detect and prevent fraudulent claims and/or activities by:
- Sharing information and you with other organisation and public bodies including the Police
- Tracing debtors or beneficiaries and recovering debt, managing insurance policies
- Undertaking fraud searches. Insurers pass information to fraud prevention agencies and databases. This helps insurers check information and prevent fraudulent claims. When we deal with your request for insurance we may search these registers.
- Compliance with legal obligations and responsibilities
- Claims Management – in the event of a claim we may need to disclose information with any other party involved in that claim such as third parties involved in the incident, their insurer solicitor or representative and medical teams, the police or other investigators. We also may have to investigate your claims and conviction history.
- Complaints management – If you make a complaint about the service we have provide, we may be obliged to forward details about your complaints, including your personal information, to the relevant ombudsman.
Personal information about others
We may collect information about other members of your household or family, for example, family members who live at your address, or who may be included on a travel policy.
How we use information to help you
- We may use the information to:
- Administer quotes and policies, including to:
- Improve your experience by reducing the number of questions we need to ask you
- Assess your application for a product, service or quote
- Understand your risk so as to offer you our best price
- Verify your identity and carry out anti-fraud checks, provide you with premium and payment options
Your information may be used for the purposes of insurance administration by the insurer, its associated companies and agent and by re-insurers. It may be disclosed to regulatory bodies for the purposes of monitoring and/or enforcing the insurers compliance with regulatory rules/codes. Your information may also be used for offering renewal, research and statistical purposes and crime prevention.
Information may also be shared with other insurers either directly or via those acting for the insurer, such as Investigators or Loss Adjusters.
Update your information, request to erase your data, subject access request
If you wish to contact us regarding this notice you can contact us at:-
MIS Underwriting Ltd
14a Jocelyn Street
By telephone: 01 872 0179
By Fax: 04890 481185
By email at: email@example.com – Please put your request in the subject line.
How to find what information we hold about you
You have the right to request a copy of all the personal information we hold about you in a Subject access request. To do this simply write to us at the address above or contact us via email.
You have the right to complain about how we treat your Personal Data and Sensitive Personal Data to the information commissioner’s office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted at: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
We are only allowed to keep your information if we need it for the reasons outlined above. We will keep it in line with the industry, regulatory and contractual requirements.